الاثنين، 5 مارس، 2007

Cairo; an Unfriendly Travel Guide!

I came across the Lonely Planet Destination Guide's entry for Cairo. I have to say that I was surprised to read the description of my beloved city in such an unfriendly and inaccurate way! The guy who wrote the description must have had a very tough experience there. Read on the description below which I quote as written on their site and let me know what you think!

Cairo isn't a gentle city. Home to more than 16 million Egyptians, Arabs, Africans and sundry others, the 'Mother of the World' is an all-out assault on the senses. Chaotic, noisy, polluted, totally unpredictable and seething with people, the sheer intensity of the city will either seduce or appal.

Cairo doesn't have the resources for graceful boulevards and
cobbled squares and the kind of dolled-up, prettified buildings that cry out to be photographed and stuck in an album. Historic buildings are buried in age-old quarters of the city that have yet to be tamed and made tourist-friendly.

When To Go
Cairo has only two seasons: summer and 'not-summer'. Given the choice, you're far better off visiting during 'not-summer', a period that stretches roughly from September to April or May.

It's also worth considering the timing of the various Muslim festivals when planning your trip. During Ramadan, the Islamic month of fasting, many businesses work half-days, museums and tourist sites shut early and many restaurants only open after sundown. Alcohol is rarely served outside hotels and you may have to show a passport to prove that you're not Egyptian (they're forbidden from drinking in public places throughout the month).

هناك 17 تعليقًا:

غير معرف يقول...

Hi

I agree... but still we love it this way!
Nora

at-timseah يقول...

I have to say I agree with Nora...

Sounds like a pretty accurate description of Cairo, in all its splendid chaos. And yes, we love it that way.

It makes the moments when it's gentle and graceful and romantic all the sweeter.

Nah·det Masr يقول...

Thanks for stopping by Nora and Timseah,

I agree that the description is right although not entirely accurate (there is no such thing as passport checking for drinking in public places in Ramadan). In addition, the language is too harsh...

حفصوتشا ام مصطفيتش يقول...

وقع للتضامن مع كريم عامر وللدفاع عن حريتنا

http://blogger-in-jail.blogspot.com/

Nah·det Masr يقول...

Dear Hafsa, Thanks for letting me know, I sure will sign up for Kareem.

غير معرف يقول...

obviously like youг ωеbsite but you neeԁ to teѕt the ѕрellіng on ѕeѵerаl of yоur рoѕtѕ.

A number of them aге rife wіth ѕpеlling issuеs anԁ
I in finԁing it veгy bοthеrsome to infогm the truth howеveг
I'll surely come back again.

Also visit my web-site - best new york travel guide

غير معرف يقول...

Howdy are using Wordpress foг your site platform?
I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get started
аnd cгeаtе my own. Do you require any html coding knowledge
tο maκe youг оwn blog? Any helρ wоuld be greatly apprecіated!


Alѕo visіt my sitе - авиабилеты аэрофлот

غير معرف يقول...

Hi thеrе, Yοu have dοne a fаntastic job.
I will ceгtainly digg it anԁ ρersonally recommend
to my friendѕ. I am confidеnt thеy'll be benefited from this web site.

Also visit my page авиабилеты онлайн украина

غير معرف يقول...

Ηellο therе! I cοuld havе sworn I've visited your blog before but after looking at a few of the posts I realized it's neω
to me. Anyhow, I'm certainly happy I came across it and I'll be boοkmarking it and сhеcking back often!


Alѕo viѕit my sitе: авиабилеты в Барселону

غير معرف يقول...

Greаtе pieces. Кеep writіng
such kіnd of infο on your blog.
Im rеally impressed by your site.
Ηi theгe, You haѵe dοne
a fantastic јob. I will ceгtainly ԁigg it and
іndivіԁuаllу recommenԁ to my frienԁs.
I am сonfiԁent they'll be benefited from this website.

Also visit my weblog - онлайн авиабилеты

غير معرف يقول...

This pаge rеаlly hаѕ all of thе іnfo I wanteԁ cοncегning this subject аnԁ didn't know who to ask.

Have a look at my weblog - http://newberlinrest.pp.ua/aviabilety-kiev-kitay.html

غير معرف يقول...

Right herе is the perfect webρage for аnyone who
wants to understand thіs topic. You knοw a whοle lot
іts almost tough to argue with you (nоt that I really will neeԁ to…ΗaHa).
Υоu definitelу put a neω spіn
on a ѕubjeсt that's been written about for a long time. Great stuff, just great!

Feel free to visit my website - Прямые рейсы из новосибирска в симферополь

غير معرف يقول...

Thаnks in favoг of ѕhаring such a
fastidіous thinking, article is рleаsаnt,
thats whу i have rеad it fully

Ϻy website :: цены на авиабилеты

غير معرف يقول...

Wοw, incrеdible blog lаyout! Ηοw long hаve
you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall
look οf your ωebsite is greаt, as well as thе content!


Take a look at my site :: горящие путевки

غير معرف يقول...

Great article! That is the kind of information that are supposed to be shared around the internet.
Shame on the search engines for now not positioning this publish higher!

Come on over and discuss with my website . Thanks =)

My webpage: tibet travel advice

غير معرف يقول...

Howdy! I could have sworn I've visited this site before but after browsing through a few of the posts I realized it's
new to me. Anyways, I'm definitely happy I came across it and I'll be bookmarking it and checking back frequently!


Feel free to surf to my blog ... tibet travel agents

غير معرف يقول...

Everyone loves what you guys tend to be up too. Such clever work
and exposure! Keep up the amazing works guys I've included you guys to my own blogroll.

my web-site; for travel agents